CONSTITUENCY ASSISTANT POSITION: PARKSVILLE-QUALICUM
Constituency Assistant Position
Parksville-Qualicum Constituency Office
A Constituency Assistant fulfills a variety of duties for an elected MLA, including helping constituents understand and access B.C. government services and supporting the MLA in the community. In general, this job includes four key responsibilities: MLA Support, Public Support, Community Outreach and Office Administration.
The primary day to day focus of this position is providing professional and exceptional service to constituents. The successful candidate will also contribute to maintaining a respectful, safe and supportive team environment, embracing diversity, along with treating colleagues and constituents with courtesy, dignity and fairness.
– Attend events and meetings with MLA
– Monitor local government and community issues and keep MLA informed
– Research and compile data for MLA
– Foster relationships with staff across all levels of government
– Write communications on behalf of MLA
– Liaise with legislative staff when required
– Coordinate media requests with legislative communications staff
– Speech writing
The ability to deliver exceptional customer service with compassion and professionalism.
Action constituent case files:
– Provide information to locate government services and information
– Contact appropriate government ministry/body to make inquires on constituent’s behalf
– Assist in understanding and clarify government policies and services
– Assist in navigating through government bureaucracy
– Knowledge of community resources to refer constituents to for further assistance
– Attend meetings and events on behalf of MLA
– Public speaking
– Networking and relationship building with local governments, community organizations and the public
– Coordinate public outreach opportunities for government programs
– Knowledge of provincial, local government, community organizations and services
– Knowledge of community events, issues, and projects
– Day-to-day office administration, computer record management and related tasks
– Knowledge of Microsoft Office, Word, Excel
– Photography skills
– Good working knowledge of social media platforms including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram
Qualified candidates will possess either a degree or diploma in a relevant field, plus considerable related experience in an executive assistant or community relations role; or an equivalent combination of training and experience. Prior government experience is an asset. The successful candidate will have excellent oral and written communication skills, including ability to listen effectively, clarify information as needed, and convey information in a clear, concise, organized, and convincing manner for the intended audience. As well as, understand social medial platforms, be able to work independently and manage confidential and sensitive material.
A vehicle and valid B.C. driver’s license is required.
Compensation: Dependent on experience.
Location: Parksville-Qualicum Constituency Office, 2B-1209 Island Highway East, Parksville
Hours: 24 per week, Tuesday through Friday with some evenings and weekends.
Closing: The deadline for applications is Friday, June 16, 2018. To be considered, applications must include a cover letter, resume and at least two references with contact information. Email applications to: Michelle.Stilwell.MLA@leg.bc.ca with the subject line: Constituency Assistant.
We thank everyone who applies, however only applicants who are short-listed will be contacted.
Latest MLA News
[PARKSVILLE] – This week’s Speech from the Throne is a unique moment in history – not only for British Columbia, but also for Vancouver Island…
PARKSVILLE – Two non-profit and charitable organizations in the Parksville region are receiving $57,500 so far this year in B.C. Government gaming grants in the…
QUALICUM – Errington Elementary School and Oceanside Elementary schools will become more energy efficient this year thanks to $120,000 in funding from the provincial Carbon…
PARKSVILLE – The B.C. Government is providing over $18,000 in grants to Lantzville, Parksville and Qualicum Beach in recognition of their commitment to support a…